Monday, July 8, 2013

Boxes, Boxes, Everywhere

Okay. Here it goes. I have an addiction. To subscription boxes. This is not uncommon but lately I have found that people are beginning to associate me with boxes (This might be because I am addicted to them and talk about them ALL the time. Whatever.). So here is the rundown on all the boxes I currently receive.

Lets start with the gateway drug box:


      
What is it: a monthly subscription service that focuses on makeup, skin, and healthcare products with the occasional lifestyle product.

How much: $10 a month. 

Why I like it: the cost is pretty low and for ever product you receive you can write a review for 10 points. After you accumulate 100 points you get $10 to spend in the Birchbox shop. You also get points when you buy items in the shop. It's become my go-to for all my hair and skin care products. They are also pretty generous with 20% off deals and bonus points. They also get a lot of praise from me for their excellent customer service and super fast shipping. 


What is it? A monthly subscription service that send 4-5 samples and full sized makeup, skin, and hair care products. 

How much: $10 a month

Why I like it: To start, I really that each month you get a brand new makeup  bag. Now, I know that I don't need 12 makeup bags but when something isn't quite my taste, I put it in my pile o' gifts ( like last months cheetah and neon green bag--it will go to my cousin at some point). I also like that they send a lot of full sized items. Some are high end and others you might find in a drug store hit that's rare. Recently they have been sending their customers different items based on their beauty profiles so there is  more variation in the boxes.  I've been subscribing since November and intend to keep it for the foreseeable future. 


What is it? Popsugar is  a monthly subscription box that includes a variety of products that are considered Must Haves for the month. I've received scarves,books, make up, perfume, workout DVDs, jewelry etc.

How much: $35 a month but the contents of the box are almost always worth $100 or more. 

Why I like it: I've been introduced to a bunch of new things that I probably would never have heard of.  I also really love the brands they send out.  And $35 isn't much to spend when you get so much back. Embarrassingly enough I was going to buy the new Devil Wears Prada book but decided against it at the last minute which is a good thing because Popsugar sent it to me in the June box. 

If you use the code REFER5 you will get your first box for only $30!


What is it? You know I'm not 100% sure. It's a box geared towards men but I find that often but they send something that I might use myself. The current month they're offering a fun cocktail mixing ser and last month was a was a Dopp kit  that went to the Airman. 

How much is it?  It's a little on the spendy side at $45 a month.  My three month subscription was purchased on Groupon.  the initial price was $75 but I had a credit so I only paid $15 for the three months. The nice thing is that you can either opt in for the current box or choose your box from the past ones that are still available. On the first of each month you get an email with the current box and then you have until the fifth of the month to decide whether or not you want that box. 

I probably won't get this every month after my 3 month subscription runs out. It's just a little too costly. That said I will probably send the list and if they send me something that I really like or that I think the Airman will really like, I would probably buy it.

If you refer a friend you get a $25 credit.

Conscious Box

What is it: A monthly subscription box that sends out samples of natural and organic products ranging from cleaning supplies to food to skincare.

How much is it? $19.99 a month 

Why I like it: I'm on the second month of a three month deal I purchased on Plum District so the cost was only $10 a month for the first three months. What I like about CB is the variety of items they send in one box and every box is completely PACKED. So in addition to discovering some really great items, there are a lot of them. You can review each products for points towards full sized versions of the things they send but I think it takes too long to do all 15 so I'm not really consistent about taking advantage of this perk.  While I have enjoyed receiving Conscious Box,  the July box will be my last for a while--I can't justify the cost even if I've used a lot of the products.


Glossybox

What is it? A monthly subscription box that sends out luxury, deluxe makeup, skincare, and haircare samples

How much: $21 a month

Why I like it: Do I like it? I can never tell. They have my favorite packaging of all the boxes I receive. That's something, right? I mean I can't seem to quit them so they're doing something right. My main issues with GB: terrible shipping. This is ALWAYS my last box to arrive each month and I don't know that it's worth it to get a foil packet of something that costs $100+ for a full sized item. It's unlikely that I'll purchase something that is that spendy BUT maybe I would if could use it for a week and see it in action. I was going to cancel after July. I really might this time. Seriously. (But I do like it so I probably won't).

Glossybox does give you points if you fill out your survey or refer a friend (see link above) the only problem is their survey is annoying.

Goodebox

What is it? a monthly subscription that sends a 5-6 samples of natural hair, skin, and makeup items.

How much: $16

Why I like it: I always use everything in this box. I thought I had canceled if for July (need to stop with the boxes!!!) but I guess I didn't because I got a box this month and it was awesome! (My review should be up for it in the next couple of days). GoodeBox is pretty good about sending decently sized items each month and they products are always of the highest quality. I'm probably going to resubscribe to this one.  The one downer: no points or referral perks of any kind.

Last one! I swear!

Yuzen

What is it? A quarterly subscription box that sends natural and organic items.

How much: It used to be $26 but now it is $33 a month

Why I like it: This is a pretty awesome box. I wish it was monthly but they send some really amazing products like candles, my current favorite lip palette (from Suki), and various lotions and oils and whatnot. The Suki lip palette cost $31from the company and it's one that I will likely purchase in the future. I have to say, of all my boxes, I have probably used everything in my Summer Yuzen box. It's probably why i don't care that the box has gone up in price. It's been completely worth it every time (well, I've only gotten two). They're also pretty popular right now because there's a waiting list for those of you who want to get in on the action.


That's it. At least I think that's it.
I will probably rotate some of these out so I can try other boxes but for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment