Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dinner Break

Well, I'm on a little health kick. Not, resolution for a new year health kick, but really thinking about the food I eat. It's been a huge problem since I started my new job. Faculty lounges a full of sugar, carbs, and other high fat items. It makes sense when you think about it. Teachers get up early, go to bed late, and in the hours in betwee, you're doing shit. It's the msot exhausting job I've ever had. No wonder we consume sugar at the most insane rate I've ever seen. Sometimes it feels like you need it to get through the next hour.

For 30 days, I'm doing a little experiment. Little to no sugar, little to no whole grains and no alcohol. That last part is actually the hardest part. I love a good glass of wine, or a smooth martini, or a nice frothy beer. Especially after a day at school.

The other day I recounted the healthy and delicious dinner I made the other night. Yesterday it was my very light take on beef with steamed broccoli topped with low sodium soy sauce. Tonight? Salmon cooked on top of the stove with a little olive oil and a lot of steam, some avocado lightly salted and some steamed spinach.

What I didn't eat today? The bagels and cream cheese at work (easy because I don't LOVE bagels) and the blueberry muffin tops (which I do LOVE). I had a bite of the cherry gluten free deserty type thing one of my co-workers made but only after ascertainging the ingredients. And seriously, only a bite.

This is easier than it sounds and mostly it's about me being less lazy than I usually am. The post New Year's Rush at the gym should be over so I'm going to join some time next week. In the mean time....A picture of dinner (sorry it's the phone camera. I couldn't find my regular camera):


2 comments: