Monday, December 13, 2010

Netflix

You can tell I'm gearing up for a holiday full of writing because I've posted more in the last five days than I did the entire month of November.
To be honest, I have no idea why I'm even posting this but I feel the need to get something off my (considerable) chest:

My Netflix queue makes me feel bad about myself. Like, all the time. Like every other Netflix user in North AMerica, I browse through the titles of movies and television shows and add them to the list of things I'd like to watch. My queue, more often than not, is full of Indie films that get lots of praise and foreign films both classics and contemporary. All films that are supposed to be excellent but....I never watch them. They never make it to my house. I haven't made a dent in my queue in nearly 6 months. that's close to $115 in fees for movies I could have had sent to me but didn't. But the thing that kills me is this: all those movies, the kind of cinema that good people with small school liberal arts degrees and literary MFAs holders should watch, is all lost on me.

I want to watch dance movies, Battlestar Galactica, and movies from the 90s I've seen a million times. So because my queue is a reminder of my baser interests, I deleted 40 movies. Gone is the Italian cinema, the Senagalese about race and class, the BBC Robin Hood series, and the artsy indie films everyone raves about. I'm gonna watch School Ties and Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief and The League of Extraordinary Dancers.

As long as I live, I'll never be shamed by my Netflix queue again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, girl, do I feel you on this. My queue is like 300 titles long, some of them from the 1940s. But I should also get real: when i turn on the tv, it's not to *Think* for chrissake! it's to relax and be entertained!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My queue now has 30 titles that I will actually watch in the forseeable future. All chosen for their pure entertainment value.

    ReplyDelete