Friday, March 15, 2013

Keeping it Simple

I'm not sure how I feel about re-entering the blog world. I have not been doing a great deal of writing. In fact, the only writing I've done in the last 6 months has been the multitude of letters of recommendation I am required to write for my students. I don't mind writing them, some of them are challenging while many others are quite easy to pen. I take pride in those letters, after all, I spend hours crafting each one. But let's be clear, it's not fiction.

For a long time I haven't really had the desire to write. I thought I would get inspired by having one of my Iowa classmates living in the same house with me. It might have inspired a little jealousy ( I wish I had mornings to write--technically I do--I have the five o'clock hour, I just lack a lot of motivation). I thought having a boyfriend (The Airman) remind me that I could be writing, when I say that I am bored, would be a motivation. I mean, who wouldn't want a boyfriend that was super supportive of your artistic endeavors? He's great but, sometimes it's easier to just turn the television on.

I had great plans to write over the winter break. I was looking forward to it, I even set a goal. I would finish the novella I started two years ago, thus completing a major part of my novel. Then my car got stolen and I learned that I didn't have enough insurance to cover the repairs when it came in (I still don't have my car but it's going to the shop on Monday!!) Car-less and semi-broke=depression which =no writing which=more depression. This spring break, without a car has kind of felt the same.

Yesterday, I wrote. I hopped in a taxi and I met a colleague from school at a local coffee shop and  from 8 in the morning until about 11 we wrote. It felt good to start thinking about my characters again, to give them a voice when they've had none for five months or more. I didn't put out the highest word count but I looked over the novella and started writing the end of the first half of the book. To be honest, the ending has eluded me for a long time, but yesterday it started to fall into place.

So I'm writing again. I think a morning session and a blog post constitutes as "writing again".  I will do a little work this afternoon before the Airman comes home today. I think he'll be happy for me. I'm happy for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment