Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Inching Towards Summer

April came in like a lion.

I know that's not the correct saying, but this year, April is behaved a little March-like if you know what I mean.

Snow. Freezing winds. Drastic temperature drop. Did I mention snow? It felt like some kind of cruel trick, an April Fool's Day joke taken a step to far. I think I only care because I'm not longer of the driving class and my subway walk is ten minutes long.

April. My birthday month. My step closer to 40 years old. Here we are and all I can do is look towards August.

At the end of March, I went down to Atlanta to speak to a class of undergraduates from Spelman and Morehouse Colleges. I spoke about writing Fiction, the African American literary community, publishing, etc. It was a fantastic experience for me and I think the students got something out of it as well.

Now we near the end of May.

I've made a public declaration to finish my novel by the end of August in this lovely (though a bit inaccurate at times) profile written of me at What Weekly.

I'm finishing my 6th (gasp) year as a high school college counselor and I've never felt more confident in the work I do (sometimes you just have to get away). And I'm hoping that this confidence leads me to more fiction writing.

Other big things:

I'll be reading at Atomic Books on June 9th at 7PM. I'll be sharing the stage with the fantastic Thea Brown and Connie Scozzaro!

I've been using my subway time wisely by knitting and reading and reading some more.

Books I've loved so far this year:

The Sellout, Paul Beatty
The Sympathizer, Viet Thanh Ngyuen
The Nest, Cynthis D'Aprix Sweeney (liked more than loved)
Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay, Elena Ferrante
The Story of a Lost Child, Elena Ferrante
We Love you Charlie Freeman, Kaitlyn Greenidge

No comments:

Post a Comment