Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Traveling Woman

I took a little detour on my latest trip to Baltimore to take care of some business. Naturally I had to check out the LYS (that's local yarn shop for you non-knitters). I discovered one in the neighborhood I'm hoping to move into. It was Lovely, seemingly laid back and of course lots of new (and old favorites) yarn to get my little hands on. I met the owner and while she wasn't hiring she was always interested in people to teach classes. Especially a lace class. A lace class that teaches the Traveling Woman shawl. I've never made a shawl so I thought I should get right on it. After all, it's a perfect excuse to make use of the Pear Tree yarn I bought last autumn.



The photo is from the designer's website. See how pretty!

I love lace, it's so pretty and delicate and it just makes me happy. So this is less of a challenge and more of a "Yay, a reason to knit some lace and finally use some of my stash".

I will admit that I'm not loving the set up row, CO 3 K6 rows and then pick up 6 stitches along the long side of the knitting and the cast on row. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to tell the truth, but once I got started, I fell in LOVE. And I haven't even made it to the chart yet! Really, it's the yarn. Like butter. But because I think I'll enjoy knitting this project, I'm already thinking about doing a second version with yarn from the shop in B'more.



I like the idea of a scarf called Traveling Woman. I'll be leaving Iowa City pretty soon, road tripping across the country to my new home, where old friends and new friends await me. So this scarf just makes sense. I hope that like this, other good things will fall into my lap.

P.S. I'll also admit that I'm totally charmed by the fact that the designer is a fan of Bones and some of her knits are inspired by the show. Normally I'd be annoyed (the way I feel about Twilight, Harry Potter and Dr. Who knits) but today, in my good mood, I'm charmed.

I bought the yarn at Home Ec. in Iowa City. Seriously, if you are not a knitter, if you say you don't like wool, then this is the yarn that will change everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment