Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy All The Time, Laurie Colwin

Ahh....Happy All The Time. It makes me sigh with happiness every time I think about it.

Granted, I read this book a couple of weeks ago, but I can't help from spreading my love for it. My friend Ann aka The Knitting Queen introduced this book to me. It's her favorite book (of all time I think) and after reading it, I totally understand why.

I read this book on a day when I was taking an energy sabbatical. No lights, no TV etc. What a way to start a day. Picked it up at 8 and finished it by noon. It was absolutely delightful. I haven't laughed out loud a book (in a good way) in a long, long time. The titles kind of says it all. It's a happy novel, which is so different from the novels I or any of my friends are writing. I mean, who has it in them to write a happy novel, what with this economy, February, Haiti, etc? But this book doesn't shy away from sadness. There are times when the utter confusion and sadness of the characters clouds the novel, but it never overshadows the general happiness of their lives, or, in some cases, the possibility of happiness.

When I finished the book, I wondered why isn't everyone writing happy novels? Why am I not writing a happy novel? It reminded me of what I think is missing from today's literary scene, the freedom to be happy, to recognize that good literature doesn't have to bring you down to be good. I'm writing about it a few weeks after reading but I'm feeling inspired to try and write a "happy" story.

The Rundown: The characters are endearing and the prose energetic. I'll probably read it again, there were many choice lines I'd like to jot down. Pick it up , I highly recommend it.

Next book: The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon.For real this time.

2 comments: